The constant preaching about so-called social justice in parishes is one of the key reasons why thinking Catholics become more open to recognising the crisis in the Church. Eventually, it dawns on them that they just can’t be responsible for every perceived injustice under the sun.
The Scottish Government electoral registration forms are dropping on doormats this week. Mine arrived today. Young people aged 14 may now register to vote although they can’t actually vote until they are 16. Imagine 16 year olds helping to decide who gets to run the country. Any Party which promises to reduce the price of designer trainers, will be home and dry. Foreign citizens living in Scotland can also now register to vote, and all of this with an eye to the 2021 Holyrood election – and all to distract voters from the SNP’s dismal record on governance: click here for more on that.
The illusion of “social justice” preached by priests and politicians does appeal to the inexperienced and uneducated young. They are brainwashed, in schools and churches, with the idea that the UK is full of social injustice. Long-term, of course, this can only be corrected by a restoration of sound teaching in seminaries and teacher training colleges but what can be done in the short-term … for those young people who are notreading this blog? 😀 And if you disagree with the distinction between social justice and justice, let us know. We’re all ears 😀
The story of Hollie Greig is fairly well known in Scotland but, for those who may not be familiar with it, we include a brief summary below. The information has been provided by those campaigning for “justice for Hollie” and is published here in good faith for the purpose of enabling discussion. If anything is inaccurate or untrue, we expect that to be exposed in the course of the debate. What we do not expect is that anyone should be named, against whom allegations have been made. The discussion must be underpinned by the principle, “Innocent until proven guilty” – please and thank you…
Catholic Truth is not part of the campaign for “justice for Hollie”. We don’t DO “justice” campaigns. Indeed, we’ve often been asked to publish a thread on the issues but having read some claims that the whole think is a hoax, we’ve resisted all requests to date. However, the circumstances surrounding the arrest and imprisonment of Robert Green, one of those campaigning for Hollie, sent alarm bells ringing.
After all, if all stops are (rightly) to be pulled out to rid the Catholic Church of any and all child abuse, then the same standards must surely be applied to other institutions (whether the BBC or political and legal institutions) when similar allegations are levelled at members of those professions.
So, tell us what you think: should there be a thorough police enquiry into the Hollie Greig abuse allegations?
1. Hollie Greig made serious allegations of child sex abuse to Aberdeen Police in 2000 and named 22 alleged abusers and 7 alleged victims (in addition to herself). The alleged abusers include social workers, a judge, a senior police forensics officer (since deceased) and two Head Teachers.
2. Until now the Aberdeen Police have refused to interview more than at most 2 of the 22 named suspects and none of the 7 victims named by Hollie.
3. This refusal to properly and thoroughly investigate Hollie Greig’s allegations is despite the fact that 2 medical doctors and 2 clinical psychologists have examined her and their findings have supported her allegations that she was sexually abused.
Furthermore, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority examined Hollie’s allegations, accepted that she had been abused and awarded her £13,500 in compensation for this.
4. All that Robert Green has been campaigning for is for the Aberdeen Police to properly and thoroughly investigate Hollie Greig’s allegations – that is their job and their duty, especially given the sheer gravity of Hollie’s allegations.
Sad sign of our times that if Hollie had alleged to police that these people had engaged in “Homophobic” activity the police would have thoroughly investigated it like a shot but to them alleged child sex abuse is perceived as not important.
5. For his campaigning Robert Green has been arrested by the Aberdeen Police at least 3 times so far. Arrested and investigated by the very same police force he’s trying to get to properly and thoroughly investigate Hollie Greig’s allegations of child sex abuse.
6. Robert Green is definitely innocent but even if you thought he somehow deserved to be arrested that does not alter the fact that he has a human right to have the defence Barristers he needs to defend himself and to have the Legal Aid he urgently needs to hire them.
Anthony Bennett, critic of the Hollie Greig campaign has already been totally and very publicly discredited. For example, see below:
On 9 September 2003the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal found him “guilty of conduct unbefitting a solicitor On 15 October 2009 he voluntarily removed himself from the Roll.
And what qualifications and authority does Bennett have as an officially discredited ex-solicitor who had to leave his profession after disciplinary proceedings, to then appoint himself police, judge and jury in the Hollie Greig case and acquit all the alleged abusers named by Hollie even though they have never ever been properly investigated by the police?“
All Robert Green is urging is for the police to do their job which is to properly and thoroughly investigate allegations of criminal activity, especially of serious criminal activity such as Holiie Greig’s allegations of child sex abuse. END…