St. Margaret Mary was born in 1647 in France. She entered the Religious Life and received apparitions during which Our Lord showed her His Sacred Heart. Jesus made twelve promises to her telling her how He would help those who honour His Sacred Heart. Jesus said to her: “Look at this Heart which has loved people so much, and yet they do not want to love Me in return. Through you My Divine Heart wishes to spread its love everywhere on earth.” St. Margaret Mary died in 1690. Her Feast Day is October 17.
Below are the Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart. A couple of years ago, we discussed these; I remember quoting a friend who said she was amazed to find her own life transformed when she placed an image of the Sacred Heart in her home. She said that she had no doubt that Our Lord has kept his promise to bless her home in a very special way after she’d placed His image there and, moreover, she felt that she’d gained the grace to be fervent after many years of lukewarm indifference to the Faith. As we approach the end of June, Month of the Sacred Heart, perhaps it’s time to reflect on the Sacred Heart devotion, and in particular on the Twelve Promises, once again. Everything related to this devotion is of interest to us – personal anecdotes, experiences, especially if you believe, like my friend, that you have had the grace of experiencing one or more of the Promises of the Sacred Heart. Feel free, too, to share your favourite prayers and hymns to the Sacred Heart. Over to you…
Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart…
1. I will give them all the graces necessary for their state in life.
2. I will establish peace in their families.
3. I will comfort them in their trials.
4. I will be their secure refuge during life, and, above all, in death.
5. I will shed abundant blessings on all their undertakings
6. Sinners will find in My Heart an infinite ocean of mercy.
7. Lukewarm souls will become fervent.
8. Fervent souls will rapidly grow in holiness and perfection.
9. I will bless every place where an image of My Heart shall be exposed and honoured.
10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
11. The names of those who promote this devotion will be written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
12. I promise thee, in the excessive mercy of My Heart, that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Friday of nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.