As we prepare to mark the 96th anniversary of the miracle of the sun at Fatima on Sunday 13 October, it might be useful to ponder the fact that such a momentous miracle has occurred in our times, not least because it is now, sadly, commonplace for Catholics to present Fatima as merely a warning against the immorality of our times. Key components in the Message of Fatima are omitted and these “ecumenical” / “party line” Catholics make no mention of the fact that atheists and freemasons converted to Catholicism on the spot as a result of witnessing the miracle of the sun – the first time in the entire history of the Church that a miracle has been foretold to the day and the hour, and witnessed by 70,000 people – and others up to 17 miles or so away.
One reader recently opined that a simple bullet-point list of facts about Fatima would be very useful to remind us all of the essential Fatima facts. We found one at http://www.fatima.org and we’re reproduced it below, for ease of reference.
Essentially, however, this thread is to afford an opportunity for you to share your thoughts with us about the incredible miracle of the sun: why has it not been broadcast more widely by the news media? School RE programmes? Historians? Theology Professors? And – most importantly – if you have a miracle story of your own to tell – especially if you are a convert to the Faith (those are always wonderful miracle stories) let’s hear from you.
TEN FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT FATIMA
1. WHAT IS THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA?
The Message of Fatima consists of a number of precise predictions, requests, warnings and promises concerning the Faith and the world which were conveyed by the Blessed Virgin Mary to three shepherd children–Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco–in a series of apparitions at Fatima, Portugal from May to October 1917.
2. WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA?
You should believe the Message of Fatima because:
(1) It was confirmed by an unprecedented public miracle, the Miracle of the Sun, which occurred at precisely the moment Lucia said it would. More than 70,000 people, including Masons, communists and atheists, saw the sun, contrary to all cosmic laws, twirl in the sky, throw off colors and descend to earth. The event was reported in newspapers around the world, including the New York Times.
(2) All of the Popes since the Fatima Miracle have recognized that the Message is authentic. Several Popes have gone to Fatima in person, including Paul VI, John Paul I and John Paul II. John Paul II said at Fatima in 1982 that “the Message of Fatima imposes an obligation on the Church.”
(3) Many other miracles have been performed by God authenticating the Fatima Message as coming from Him, not only at the time of the Miracle of the Sun, October 13, 1917, but down the years to the present day, miracles of conversions and cures which science cannot explain by natural means.
(4) The Message of Fatima accurately predicted world events, which proves that it is a true prophecy.
3. WHAT DID THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA PREDICT?
The Message of Fatima accurately predicted in 1917 all of the following events which came to pass:
(1) the end of World War I;
(2) the emergence of Russia as a world power which would “spread its errors (including Communism) throughout the world … raising up wars and persecutions against the Church”;
(3) the election of a Pope who would be named Pius XI;
(4) the waging of a second World War following a strange light in the night sky.
The Message of Fatima also predicted that if the requests of the Virgin Mary at Fatima are not honored, many souls will be lost, “the Holy Father will have much to suffer”, there will be further wars and persecutions of the Church and “various nations will be annihilated.” The annihilation of nations predicted at Fatima has not yet occurred, but many fear that it will soon happen, given the growing immorality and corruption of the world.
4. WHAT DOES THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA REQUEST?
At Fatima Our Lady said that God wished to establish in the world devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Our Lady said that many souls would be saved from Hell and the annihilation of nations averted if, in time, devotion to Her Immaculate Heart were established principally by these two means:
(1) the Consecration of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary by the Pope together with the world’s bishops in a solemn public ceremony, and
(2) the practice or receiving Holy Communion (and other specific devotions of about 1/2 hour in duration) in reparation for the sins committed against the Blessed Virgin Mary, on the first Saturdays of five consecutive months–a practice known to Catholics as “the First Saturday” devotion.
5. HAVE THESE REQUESTS OF OUR LADY OF FATIMA BEEN HONORED?
No, not entirely. A number of the Faithful practice the “First Saturday” devotion, but Russia has yet to be consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in a solemn public ceremony conducted by the Pope together with the world’s Catholic bishops.
In 1982 the last surviving Fatima seer, Lucia, who is now a cloistered nun living in Coimbra, Portugal, (Ed: Sister Lucia died in 2005) was asked if an attempted consecration by Pope John Paul II had sufficed. She replied that it did not suffice, because Russia was not mentioned and the world’s bishops had not participated. Another attempted consecration in 1984 likewise did not mention Russia or involve the participation of many of the world’s bishops, and Sister Lucia stated immediately afterwards that this consecration, too, had failed to meet Our Lady’s requirements.
6. WHAT DOES THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA WARN?
It warns that if the requests of Our Lady of Fatima for the Consecration of Russia and the First Saturday devotion are not honored, the Church will be persecuted, there will be other major wars, the Holy Father will have much to suffer and various nations will be annihilated. Many nations will be enslaved by Russian militant atheists. Most important, many souls will be lost.
7. WHAT DOES THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA PROMISE?
The Message of Fatima promises that if the requests of Our Lady of Fatima are carried out “My Immaculate Heart will triumph. The Holy Father will Consecrate Russia to Me, which will be converted, and a period of peace will be granted to mankind.”
8. ISN’T IT TRUE THAT THE CONSECRATION OF RUSSIA WAS DONE IN 1984 AND THAT THE “FALL OF COMMUNISM” PROVES THAT THE CONSECRATION WAS EFFECTIVE AND THAT RUSSIA IS NOW CONVERTING?
No, it is not true. We know it is not true because:
(1) On March 25, 1984, after the consecration of the world, Pope John Paul II said twice that Our Lady of Fatima’s request for the consecration of Russia was not done.
(2) Soon after the attempted Consecration of 1984, which did not mention Russia or involve the participation of the world’s bishops, Sister Lucia stated it was insufficient because it did not meet the requirements specified to her by Our Lady.
(3) Since 1984 the moral and spiritual state of the world has obviously grown far worse: In the past 14 years there have been 600 million abortions, and wars have broken out all over the world. Mercy-killing and homosexual acts have been “legalized”. In Russia itself a new law has just been passed which discriminates against the Catholic Church and in favor of Islam, Buddhism, Judaism and the Orthodox churches which forcibly occupied Catholic parishes under the Communists. Thus it is clear Russia is not converted to the Catholic Faith as Our Lady of Fatima promised would happen if Her request was done.
(4) There have been very few conversions to Catholicism in Russia over the past fourteen years. In all of Russia today there are only 300,000 Catholics–much less than one percent of the Russian population. By comparison, after Our Lady appeared at Guadalupe, Mexico in the 16th Century, more than 7 million Mexicans converted from paganism to the Catholic Faith within nine years and Mexico became a Catholic country.
9. WHY IS THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA IMPORTANT TO ME AND MY FAMILY?
The Message of Fatima is important to you and your family because it involves the salvation of souls, peace in the world and, if the requests of Our Lady of Fatima are not carried out, the consequences are the annihilation of nations and the enslavement of all mankind under militant atheists of Russia.
10. BUT ISN’T THE MESSAGE OF FATIMA JUST A PRIVATE REVELATION WHICH NO CATHOLIC HAS TO BELIEVE?
No, it is not just a private revelation. It is a public, prophetic revelation given by the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God. It is not to be confused with “Revelation” or as it is also called, the Deposit of the Faith, which ended with the death of the last Apostle. But public, prophetic revelation must not be despised. The Virgin Mary’s prophecy was confirmed by a public miracle and authenticated by a whole line of Popes. Also, its predictions have come true.
So, while belief in the Message of Fatima may not strictly be required of Catholics as an article of faith, one would be very foolish to disregard such an obviously authentic message from Heaven. As St. Paul taught: “Despise not prophecies, but prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.” (1 Thess. 5:20-21) The prophecy of Fatima has been proven worthy of belief. We should not despise it, but rather hold fast to what Our Lady told us at Fatima.